Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Jesus take the wheel


Friday, March 10th

I am from Georgia, and it gets COLD in Georgia. Sometimes it gets down to like 25 and icy! It turns out there is such a thing as colder than that if you can believe it! 20 degrees, 30-40 MPH wind. Wow, remind me not to move to Maine.

A 12 hour drive on 3 hours sleep was not the best plan in the world. I had already paid for the Grand Canyon tour and wasn't going to waste a hundred dollars on sleep. So off I went. The drive went well until I got to flagstaff, even with the snow, wind and ice.

Flagstaff I called the airport and it was closed down due to the weather as well as the road to the Grand Canyon was rated treacherous and not recommended to come up there. So forward to Laughlin I went.

I never realized how much difference a few thousand feet of elevationwould make. I left Flagstaff and the roads became treacherous beyond belief. The roads were 2 inches deep in packed, icy snow. Then the windshield started to freeze over from the road spray and snow coming down. The windshield wipers froze into a sheet of ice going back and forth. Then a mustang changed lanes in front of me and flew off the road (mustangs go straight in snow. Turning is NOT an option). Passed a station wagon face first in a ditch, a jackknifed tractor trailor, lots of semi's pulled over (how are they ever going to start going again? like it is going to melt on top of a freaking mountain). A huge accident on the other side of the road. If I wasn't a Christian before that experience I certainly became a Jesus Freak in a hurry during that. It made me think of that song Jesus Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood.... Sometimes you really do feel like your life is not in your control.

Amazingly after I got over the top of the mountain the other side was completely clear. Not a drop of snow 5 feet from where there was 2 feet. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen! Flew down the other side, cleaned off the windshield and got into Laughlin in no time flat.

Checked into the Ramada Express, and rested up a little from the trip. I headed over to the Colorado Belle after a snack and sat at the 4/8 table there. Very early at the table I get QJ suited in the big blind, the ENTIRE TABLE limps to me. Now with 10 players in the hand, I need this flop to hit me square in the head to win this pot. A pair of Q's isn't going to do it! The flop is 8/9/10 rainbow! OK... so there is hitting a flop and there is freaking destroying a flop. Wow. I check of course having flopped the nuts and it is raised immediately to my left and then 2 bet behind him, several callers and back to me. So of course I call not wanting to kill the action. The turn is an Ace and it is bet by the last card raiser, and then 2 bet behind HIM! So now a NEW guy is 2 betting, wow. Folded back to me and I should have raised but decided to go for overcalls and a checkraise on the river. The original better folded and it was headsup. River I decided to lead into him as I didn't want it to check through and he called for a huge pot! JJ held up in a kill pot (they run 4/8 with a full kill) and I was up a little over 100 in an hour. The table then broke for a tournament starting and I got moved to a 2/6 spread limit game which was tight as I have ever seen. The average pot was 6 dollars! I hit a huge hand with AJ suited against 9/2 who hit a boat against my flush and lost a bunch so cashed out up 30 and went to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you made it through safely with no snow tires or chains. Wow, scary stuff.