Friday, March 31, 2006

Carrot Top

You know sometimes you really wonder what makes people tick.

Thursday morning I got up and went to stand in line for Carrot Top half price tickets. There are these stores in Las Vegas that sell same-day half price tickets to shows, basically unsold tickets get discounted for that nights show. I get there to get the tickets and the line is HUGE! Wrapped around inside and then outside, probably 300-400 people in line.. EEK! Now first of all that is a lot of people! Secondly, the lady making sure the line kept moving, and noone broke, etc had her mouth WIRED SHUT! I know I do not have a lot of customer service experience, but come on... If you have to talk to customers shouldn't you be able to OPEN YOUR MOUTH! Dear god who decides this!

I am standing in line, just reading a magazine and watching the rather light crowds walk by and a guy walks up to me in the middle of the line. Asks if I want this coupon he has called an "A+ List", he is leaving town this afternoon and doesn't need it anymore. It turns out this coupon lets you go to a special line which NOONE is in, and buy your tickets at an even bigger discount. Dude! This rocks! I just keep showing the ticket to each person I pass and they wave me on ahead... WHEE! All the way to the front, get my tickets and done! WOW! Then, they let me KEEP IT! So now every time I go I can just go to the front of the line. Yeah, I am going to do THAT again indeed!

After paying for the tickets they tell me that these are not the actual tickets. These are just vouchers for tix. Now I have to get back in the car, drive over to the Luxor and exchange these tix for REAL tix. I decide that since I am just running in and out, I will valet and tell the valet that. Surely, he will just pull it up on the side and this will be quick right? Naw.... I head over to one of the 3 box offices in the Luxor and there are only 5 people in front of me, but I think the ticket guy died. He was pretty old... and just standing there. The line wasn't moving at ALL! 10 minutes of sitting there and it was still not moving. He didn't even see to be doing ANYTHING, so I decided to walk to the other boxoffice near the main theatre (they had a map, I haven't memorized the luxor yet). I walk up there, 4 people behind the desk nobody in line. Grab the tix and back out to the car.

The Luxor has gotten very fancy with the Valet... they have eliminated that person you give your ticket to to go get the car, and replaced it with a machine. Now you can't explain to the machine you are in a hurry, and you can't yell at it when it doesn't bring your car. You just sit there with the mad face on. It took FOREVER for my car to get there... sheesh. It is 2 PM in the afternoon who the heck is working around here! It FINALLY shows up, head off to class, get one down in which went pretty well, and I left a little early to get ready for dinner and a show.

The lady I am going with is named Erica, very sweet lady who I met in Vegas. She is in school at UNLV to be an elementary school teacher and like me liked to go to shows and movies so we have hung out a few times. After dinner at a mexican restaurant we went over to the show arriving at 7:35 when the seating started at 7:30. Perfect timing, 30 mins till the show started. It was in the Atrium theatre which is a nice small place which only seats about 300. Apparently so small that there is no restroom within half a freaking city block! I decided to go before the show started (good thing it turns out) and I had to go back OUTSIDE the theatre across the way and into the arcade to us the restroom! Sheesh.

Carrot Top was hilarious. I love his prop oriented high energy comedy, I saw him at the University of Georgia about 10 years ago and he has changed some. He only had 1 trunk of props at UGA and his show was more props and less comedy. Now he has a whole bunch of different themed trunks of props, including a washing machine up on wooden blocks that he does redneck jokes out of... really good. All in all an excellent show, got done around 10 PM and headed to bed. Test tomorrow... need to get my beauty sleep.

No comments: