Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A day off (kind of)

Well... After a long day at school on Tuesday and staying up till 1 AM watching a stupid and badly done mini-series on Sci-Fi, I decided going to school on Wednesday was not going to happen. Regardless of the fact I have a test on Friday which I am NOT ready for... and I need to practice, and get some time in the box. I still skipped :(

Instead I went to South Coast to have lunch (NICE buffet... I like that buffet a lot!). My favorite vegetable in the whole world is steamed brocolli... and they had that. My 2nd favorite is baby carrots.. .which they also had. So I was in heaven... stir fry, pasta, mountain dew (that IS important to any meal), and one of my favorite deserts (chocolate silk pie). Yummy... I might even pay 13 dollars for that for dinner one night.

As for Poker... Tuesday night I only played 3 hours. The cards were good, I was bad. Raising with a straight against *2* full houses, raising with 99 on an AQQJ board, etc. Luckily the cards saved me and I was up 125. I did manage to hit a nice straight flush wheel in my third hand, very nice.. unfortunately only 1 card from hand played so I didn't get the bonus.

Wednesday I was already at SouthCoast, and after watching a movie (She's the man... CUTE movie. Definately recommend for the sentimental in the group), and playing a little blackjack (up $350 for the night at BJ), I signed up for the 7 PM $60 buy-in tournament. The structure is about as good as you will get in vegas... Freeze-out, 53 of the 60 into the prize pool, Blinds are friendly even if they are 20 minutes. Not to mention, the players are horrid....

Early on I get AQ on the big blind and UTG limps and everyone else folds. I raise a large amount expecting everyone to fold and I get reraised all-in. I read the guy as an idiot (which he was) but not for having AK! Luckily a Q on the flop and he was out. After combining down from 4 tables to 3 I get KJ and raise from the button I get reraised all-in for only about 1K more into a 5K pot so I call and he has 88. K on the river takes him out. Just cruising along, stealing a few pots here and there when I can, an occasional blind and antes. Down to 2 tables and another UTG limper, I raise with AJ suited and he reraises all-in. I of course call, because I decide he is dumb. Turns out he had KK and an Ace on the turn and HE was out.

At this point we are down to 11 players and I am the chip leader... I take out the cute married girl next to me, and another one drops before we combine to the final table at 9 players. There is one guy who likes to be the table captain, nice guy.. but demanding and he wants to change the payout from top 3 to top 6. We all agree to discuss it further at 6 players left, all except one guy who of course goes out next. The previous chip leader is the short stack now and limps in from the button with Ax, I check from the big blind with 10/6 offsuit and flop 2 pair. I check, hoping he will make a play being short stacked and he checks behind. The turn comes and gives 3 hearts on the board and I bet out for 3K, short stack calls and small blind folds. Nothing helps on the river as I boat up and he is out. One more goes out and we are at 6 players. The big blind is about to be virtually all-in and we all 6 agree that 6th place will get $100 out of the $2120 prize pool. Immediately after that, she goes out 6th and is very happy with that.

With 5 players left, we agree 5th gets $200 and then of course someone goes out 5th. With 4 players left we discuss a 4 way chop for $455, but the table captain wants no part of it... I build up to the chip lead again and 3 of us are very close in chips with the table captain short stacked. Eventualy after a few more orbits we chop it up 4 ways and 455, top the dealers 15 and take 380 in profit.

This would have been a banner day, except that they have this 50 play video poker machine. So see... this machine pays out close to100%, but it appears I didn't read the fine print that said "Not to Peipers!" BOGUS! so I dropped 190 into it before finally giving up and going to hit the blackjack tables. It is a good thing I won there and at poker for a net of 550 for the day.

I have to get up early to get Carrot Top tickets and then get to class to get ready for my test on Friday and for the big weekend ahead. Saturday is moving day, and shopping for minor furniture for the room... And lots of poker with the tourists in town. Tons to do... need to get my rest.

No comments: