Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Welcome to the club

It has been just over a week at the World Series of Poker and I feel like I am officially in the "club". The first few days were really easy.. 4/8, 2/5 no-limit, 225 dollar buy-in 200 person tourneys. Nothing special at all. The last 3 days however... they were something else. It definately stepped up to a new level. Saturday I was in the $2500 buy-in 6 handed no-limit tournament and had just about everyone at my tables. Gavin Smith, Daniel Negreanu, Kathy Liebert, Reigning world champion Joe Hachem, and many more. Sunday I was in the live section and got the row of Pot-limit Omaha from 5/10 to 25/50 PLO and a couple of Chinese Poker tables. Monday I figured it couldn't get any worse... PLO Hi/Low is about as tough as it gets, pots getting up to 4000-5000 dollars and pot, repot...ick. Monday started out well. 2/5 No-limit, 5/10 no-limit, chinese poker, a break. I come back from break and the idiot Dealer Coordinator has sent someone who just came in to my table! So I go talk to him and he says "oh, go on break and then push 162 at 5 till the hour". Well I just came OFF break, but whatever... then I look and 162 is 400/800 mixed with 2-7 triple draw, Badugi, and Omaha Hi/Lo. Oh shit... followed by 75/150 Omaha Hi/Lo, and then 50/100 Stud Hi/Lo for 2 tables and finishing with 50/100 limit!

I got to find out just how good I really was... Angry players, playing for thousands of dollars, and me with my few weeks of experience. It turned out to be really smooth, all the players treated me well (even though I heard they were NOT so nice to other players... so maybe I am doing more right than I expected). Then, to top it off with this murder's row... I push into the first table and the cash box is $100 down. So I have to call the floor over which starts a chain reaction of people coming by going "Really?" All of the chips should add up to a static $800 in the hi-limit section and this one was exactly 700. I think the poor guy who was there before me got fired for it... I am really glad I counted that box over his shoulder and did everything exactly right. It would be a really bad time to get lazy (which is what I think he did) and not count it.

No comments: