Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hello my Name is Lawson

OK fine... I give up. Over the years I have not worked very many places with name tags, so it was very simple to introduce myself as "Richard". I have always gone by Richard or some variation of that, and it was never a problem. Unfortunately with playing poker and everyone seeing my comp card, and working and them putting my legal name everywhere... My name is now Lawson in Vegas. I have just given up... Lawson is more unique, more memorable, and actually gets my attention when I hear it.... I guess I will get used to it one day.

Friday was the first day of the WPT at Mandalay Bay. It was also my first REAL day dealing for 8 hours. I got 7 30 minute tournament downs in dealing the 330+ person 1,000 dollar buy-in event that started at noon, and 5 30 minute downs in the regular games. Only 2 breaks, and 2 turns on brush... So it was a REAL day and a REAL job, I haven't work an 8 hour day in 3 months... ouch.

The tournament downs were nothing exciting, no major issues, no major excitement. I got to deal to Kathy Liebert who was very nice. The cash games were a TON of fun... I loved it. It was my first time dealing a live game with rake, and I was rocking the house. The game was running smooth, the tips were awesome ($122 in 2.5 hours) and I even managed to handle the 4/8 game with 10% rake, 5% jackpot drop by quarters, 1/2 blinds and a half kill. So the pots were always small, rarely capped and often folded before the river. One of the hardest games to deal in vegas... so I felt good being able to handle it.

I also managed to get 4 more hours in at Red Rock and only need 6 more to qualify for the freeroll. 4 Hours and I was up 159, I played pretty darn well and felt like I was close to 95% correct for the night which is very good considering how tired I was after dealing all day. Apparently this big bald head of mine makes an impression as several people now know who I am and that I am a decent player as I am starting to get some comments like "That guy is tricky" and "He rarely loses a hand" or my favorite "God that guy is lucky".

Time to head off to work.... bah this having a job thing!

No comments: