Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The "Night Life"

I never thought I would "get used" to the heat. I mean I lived in Atlanta and it hit high 90's often, but I sitll thought 120 was FREAKING HOT! and it is! But now, I go outside and I am like "Oh it is fine... a little breeze and shade". The heat freaking MELTS my books when I leave them in the car... but I go outside for walks. BAH! It is frying my brain... that must be it!

Imperial Palace is going well. The more I work there, the more I like it. I got moved to swing shift, and it is great! I work 4-5 days a week and get 8 hours almost every time I go in. Fortunately for me, the rest of the dealers want to go play poker... so I can stay and they go early if it is slow. I had to make some adjustments to my dealing from the Series to here. The players at the Series were there to PLAY, and there was nothing you could do to slow them down if you were lost. At IP they are there to drink, hit on the waitress, tell stories, etc... So you really have to push the game along. If you don't, then you get no hands out, and you get no tips. The really nice thing is working the night shift at IP, in at 8 or 9 PM most nights is awesome... the sun is down, the weather is beautiful, lots of peopel coming and going, and there is a night club right outside the poker room and the only bathroom is past the poker room.

Poker has been a little more challenging lately. I moved to no-limit and did very very well, making almost 2 grand in a week or so, but then I got cocky and thought suddenly I was better than everyone else at the table, and then I lost :( a LOT. So I went back to limit and lost, and went back to no-limit and lost, and the idiots got lucky, etc etc. It is really tough when you combine overconfidence and running bad! I had to go back to the basics and re-evaluate my game. I played a lot better when I was focused on improving my game, evaluating what I was doing every hand, etc.

The last week or so I have been playing on my off days and before work, and doing much better. Playing with more respect for the game, and listening to my knowledge a lot more. I am heading to Atlanta for a visit this weekend, and then after that will be able to really focus again. I am also going to go back into the gym starting next week... It is just too important to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you have no sick days! Not to mention, all the women playing poker now don't tip fat bald guys nearly as much as they tip bald sexy ones!

No comments: